One Year Acting Course Musings

I have been having some really interesting conversations recently about the differences between one year MA/Diploma courses and the regular BA or two year courses like the ones offered at LAMDA and Bristol Old Vic.

For me, this not a question of can you train an actor in 1 year. I believe you can although it will require a greater level of maturity, commitment and in fact general acting level when commencing compared to the BA. This post is about the doors opened post-graduation.

I’ve started to seriously question whether it is worth-it, in the grand scheme of things, to embark on a one year training course, when I could be more selective about the school I’d accept/apply to and simply wait and try again if I do not get into Juilliard, LAMDA or Bristol Old Vic. The issue that has been raised to me by actors who are leaving good drama schools to go into the industry is that the quality and number of agents and casting directors that attend 1 year course acting shows are not as varied as for the BA or two-year course and as a result, instead of jumping on the first school that accepts you, it would be better to wait and hope to get into a BA course or 2 year course. I mentioned in THIS post (Juilliard Prescreening)my reasons for choosing a one year course over anything else and age as well as money was a big reason for me.

Even though I am 21 and a BA would cost £27,000 (without funding) I am genuinely undecided if I will accept a one year course if I do not get into any 2 year courses or Juilliard. All I can do is hope for the best and go with my gut. I think the main thing is if it feels right and not going for the first opportunity that presents itself. With everything said in this post, I do think that I will grow a lot in Drama Centre’s one year course which I am really attracted to. Other than Drama Centre, I am very hesitant about the one year courses.


Either way, I know I will be where I need to be come September by the grace of God!

Comments

Popular Posts