Drama Centre MA Acting Audition Experience

Drama Centre is situated in Kings Cross and is part of UAL (University of Arts London). When I arrived, I went to the reception and told the lady I was there for my audition and she told me to wait on the sofas. As I waited, I watched staff and students going in and out of the reception looking very artsy who seemed to study some sort of art/film/media course. There were only two other auditionees waiting with me and we were in the last slot of the day. On that day they had auditioned around 15 people according to the past student I met later on in the day. At 3:30 pm, a student helper came down and asked us what our names were. I thought they’d be ticking it off somewhere but turns out they didn’t already have it written down which was very strange. I glanced at the paper he was writing on and all the other slots earlier in the day had word processed names on the paper but for the 3:30 PM slot it was blank. Clearly, they had trouble with their computer system.

The current student lead all three of us upstairs and dropped two of us off on one floor and the other girl on another floor. Walking through the building I got to see just how vast and modern the site was. Drama Centre is only part of the building but nonetheless, it was really impressive. We were dropped off with a new current student who gave us two sheets of paper to fill in. One was a paper for us to write down our speeches and a brief sentence about their context and the other was a paper where we wrote basic info including our name, age and past experience.

The other auditionee told me that he had no idea that he had to prepare monologues and it was a good thing that he was in a play right now so he had something. I was very shocked by this revelation but didn’t say anything – wild…

I finished filling in my paper first so I went in first. The panel was made up of two people, one was an external director and the other was a teacher of some sort. The past student also came in the room with me. I first sat down in front of them and they asked me which pieces I’d be doing. I then got up and performed them. The acoustics in the room were terrible. It actually distracted me during my speech because of the echo. The panel redirected my contemporary and got me to do it to the current student who was a great person to do it to.

Once that was over I sat in front of them again and we had a general chat about what I was doing at the moment and also the rigorous nature of the course. I made them laugh quite a lot and it was just a really nice chat.


I left the room feeling pleased and relaxed and made my way home. I really like this school and the fact that they are in from 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM everyday according to the BA and MA students is something which really attracts me to the school. I want to really live the conservatoire life. I will keep you all updated when I hear some news.

*** Update: I received an email this morning inviting me to a recall on Saturday 3rd March. Woopee!*** Click Here To Read About It

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts