Part Three: ALRA MA Acting Audition Experience

For Part Two press here

My name was one of those 5 names. Thank You God!!

I was so relieved that now the hard part was over. I just planned on being myself in the interview and hoped for the best. I was the penultimate person to be interviewed so while I waited I just chatted with the current students and other auditionees. I was speaking to a girl on the MA course and she said how at ALRA, you are taught from September to September then up to December you focus on performances. This is really unique to other Masters courses which are not 15 months so that was really nice to know.

I was interviewed by the entire panel and they were all really kind. They didn’t ask me any questions about why drama school or anything, they were more interested in just learning about me in general. When I told them that I was applying to Central they asked me which strand. I told them classical they all made this “oooooooooo” face as if they were surprised/confused/judging me and I was just thinking crap I should have lied* this is ALRA (Academy of Live and Recorded Arts). I think I saved it though when I told them about the Screen Acting Course I did and my love for all forms of acting. However, I think I put my foot in it again when they asked me if I have any questions and I asked them if the study Period Dance lol.

All in all, the interview went well though and so did the entire day. ALRA is a unique school that I do believe is up and coming now more so than ever. Now we just have wait for the results….

***UPDATE***
I was offered a place!

* I am aware lying is never the way to go in auditions/interviews.

Comments

  1. WELL DONE!

    I am applying for the MA Professional acting course which is due in January, I am currently working as a touring actor in France, Belgium and Luxembourg.

    May I email about some burning questions if possible?

    Cameron Carmichael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cameron, I sincerely apologise about my very late response. I took a break from this blog but I may be coming back into the blogging world. I am currently in the industry working in London and would be happy to email you if you still have any questions!

      Delete
  2. OMG AMAZING!!
    I know you went super in depth but any solid good tips to do for drama school auditions, anything that you think made you stand out? Also what did you wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am so sorry for how long it's taken me to reply. But here are some tips anyway for those of you that require.

      The most important way to "stand out" is to be the best version of yourself that day! I know that sounds cheesy and probably isn't what you want to hear but I think the biggest downfall you see from the other side is people attempting to be who they think the panel wants them to be. It's all down to your acting, preparation, relaxing and being yourself! Control the controllables I'd say. This is the same for all auditions. For acting, join an audition technique course if you can afford to or talk to your acting teacher, find help elsewhere because so many other applicants do and it means your speeches are in the best shape. A bit unfair but hey ho that's the name of the game. Preparation, plan your journey, learn your lines, bring your water, simple stuff. Relaxing and being yourself are the hardest bits - BREATHE!!!

      Delete
  3. Hey! Thanks for all these posts: so grateful!

    I was wondering whether you had any difficulties with deadlines? ALRA have given me 17th March as a deadline to accept their offer, but I have a number of auditions after that date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I am so sorry about the late reply. This blog has been inactive for a very long while but I'm hoping to revive it!

      I am aware I am too late with the response for this BUT for anyone else who finds themselves in this situation I would say call the school first and tell them that you have other auditions. They will understand that this is a very important decision to make and therefore not be offended or anything. If you still have to make a decision (or else being placed on waiting list) I would say do not accept unless it's your dream i.e. no.1 preferred school. Alternatively, accept then pull out. The choice is yours. I would choose the latter unless you have to pay money.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts