Part One: Juilliard Pre-Screening


Technically, the first audition I did was my Juilliard pre-screening.

I have always dreamt of applying to Juilliard ever since I was 16. I always used to browse the website when I was supposed to be doing my homework and imagined myself walking the corridor. I didn't plan to apply there but I would not be able to live without trying. 

You may have noticed that I have only mentioned applying to one year (maybe two year) courses. This is due to already having used my student loan and only being able to contribute a certain amount to the Post-Grad Loan I would receive (plus I really don't want to spend ANOTHER three years at university - not getting any younger) however, I thought Juilliard is the exception.

This is probably a good time to mention that I would only be able to afford to go to Juilliard if I got a full scholarship (around $62,000 per year including accommodation!).

So with all the odds against me (but following my heart), I submit the world's LONGEST application which has to include a pre-screening video for international applicants.

When it came to filming the video I used my iPhone 7 and used a rehearsal room at Central School of Speech and Drama. At the time I was doing an audition-technique Short Course there.

We had to run around the school looking for a room to record in and got kicked out of rooms various times whilst recording so when we finally found a room, it would be an understatement to say I did the monologues under pressure. Watching it back now I made a mistake with one of the words in my Shakespeare monologue and I just wasn't happy with the quality of acting. It was good but not great. Either way, I was totally fed up at this point and just decided to submit it anyway.

Afterwards, I seriously regretted this decision thinking that I'd just wasted $110 but apparently not.


A couple of days after the deadline, I received an email inviting me to book a live audition! Woopeeee. Off to New York on 20th January!

Click Here, To Read All About It!

Comments

Popular Posts