Central MA Acting First Round Audition Experience

The morning started off terribly! Although I only live in Zone 5 London, my train getting into London Bridge/Waterloo East was so delayed on the tracks that my heart was doing serious palpitations every step of the way. When I got off the train I ran my ass off to get to the Jubilee Line and it didn’t help that there were massive queues to go in since the escalators weren’t working. I made it there with 5 mins to spare but certainly not with any breath to spare!

Usually, I am very calm in auditions, even right before I go in but if I am late then that just totally throws me off my centre. Even though I wasn’t late I was really thrown but thankfully there was a guy called Alistair who I had met at my ALRA audition who really calmed me down once I arrived.
At 9:00 AM on the dot, two people took us up three flights of stairs and into a medium-sized studio room. The two people explained how we would be auditioning in this room and gave us time slots for when we each would be going in. My time slot was 9:55 AM so in the meantime they took us to an adjacent room where we waited.

It was very quick with no warm up which I did not expect (I read about it in other audition experience posts) despite the email saying that applicants should keep the rest of the day free. Oh well. I spoke to Alastair and it was really cool to meet a guy who had been posting on a Student Room Thread with me about MA Acting Auditions… Surreal!

Once it was my turn to enter I literally tripped up the step whilst entering and almost fell flat on my face which was certainly an entrance! The guy behind the panel kept on joking (I think) about me doing that on purpose (which I obviously didn’t). We spoke about what I was doing now and I went over the usual Chemical Engineering thing. We also spoke about my name being Greek, the guy was Greek too and he told me that this week was my ‘name day’ week in Greece so I said that this must be my lucky week then!

So, I did both my monologues and then they redirected my contemporary monologue. They seemed to have redirected everyone’s monologue before me as well. They told me to imagine I was seeing the man I was speaking about in my monologue as I spoke to who I was originally speaking to so I would only speak once he did an action. It doesn’t make too much sense here due to you guys not knowing the monologue + it was quite hard for me to even get my head around it. I did some of the monologue with this new direction and then they stopped me and said thank you.

They then asked me if I had any questions and I asked them who they were since they hadn’t introduced themselves or told us who they were. They said that they were graduates who worked in the industry and taught. I said thank you and went.

In hindsight, I feel like that was a weird question to ask but it worked in the moment.
I left feeling quite pleased with how it went but then again, I really don’t know…



 Not sure at all in fact!

***Update: I've been invited to recalls! They haven't given me a specific date but make sure to subscribe so you know when it happens***

Comments

Popular Posts