Part One: ALRA MA Acting Audition Experience

The school ALRA was only put onto my radar recently when I heard about People, Places and Things playing at The National then transferring to The West End with Denise Gough, ALRA alumni. I looked more into the school but still, I was not 100% sold. Either way, I applied because it looked like some where I could see myself studying and went for an audition on a Thursday morning in January.



If there was an overriding theme of this audition, it would be disorganisation. Don’t get more wrong, it was a fantastic day, but they just could have been more organised. On the portal where you booked your audition it said that the start time was 10 AM but then on the website where it gives a timetable for the day, it says the start time is 9.15 AM. Either way, I got there just before 9 AM.

The day didn’t start until 10 AM but before that we all just chatted and got two know each other. Current students were there from 9 AM and they were SO lovely, and kind and just great. Even though they didn’t really know what was going on they really made the day. We all played a game then did some yoga lead by a past student and then the panel entered at 10 AM.

The first thing we did was a warm-up, I can’t remember with who exactly but a member of staff. What was really annoying was that although the room we were in was lovely (it’s called the Great Hall and its exactly like the Great Hall in Harry Potter) the acoustics were TERRIBLE so I seriously struggled to hear what the guy was saying. I’m not sure if this bit was assessed but either way it was fun and pretty basic. Some stuff we did was getting into partners and leading each other around the room with our eyes closed; following instructions like jump, clap, get into threes whilst walking in the space etc.

After the warm up, we were divided into two groups. Both groups then went off into separate rooms to perform their contemporary monologues in front of a panel and other members of the group. My group performed ours to Sally, The Head of Acting who just an exemplary woman. My monologue went okay, there were things I wish I could have done (usually I like to use the lower pitch in my voice during it so it isn’t all too high pitched but I didn’t) which I didn’t but it went well.

After we went into a room with a different panel one by one and performed our classical speeches. I wish it was the other way around because my classical is speaking to an audience and my contemporary is to one person. Now would be a good time to mention that you can direct your speech at an ALRA student if that helps (which I did). My classical went well but I didn’t know where to look! They don’t like direct address (it says it on their website) and because there was no audience I needed to picture some sort of fourth wall which was very difficult to do.

Once the monologues were through it was time to wait…

One of the past students took my group to the toasty shop nearby to get lunch but then once we had just ordered she ran back in while on the phone saying “OMG guys, we need to leave RIGHT NOW! I got the time wrong and they are giving the results right now!” Crazy, IKR.

We were all like “we’ve just ordered” so she spoke on the phone for a bit then came back inside the shop telling us not to worry and that we will go back the original time and how it wasn’t her fault- disorganised right?

So anyway, we went back to ALRA and the other group was already out and already knew their result. As for me…

Comments

Popular Posts