Part Two: Drama Studio London Audition Experience

For Part One press here

I was recalled to the afternoon!

This was definitely a shocker to me. I honestly thought I had blown it with the impro but apparently not. The feedback I received was that I needed to slow down in my monologue since some of the clarity was lost due to the speed I was going at.

Afterwards, we all went for lunch at a nearby café, around 5 other people were recalled so it was quite a few of us. This café called Beehive was so lovely! When we left the lady behind the counter asked us if we would be back and if we wanted a loyalty card which was really funny as you can imagine.

The afternoon was with a different panel. We swapped panel with the BAs and it turned out that we did exactly the same thing as them in the morning after talking to a few of them.

We went into a black box theatre and the panel introduced themselves to us. The man was The Head of Movement and used to be a dancer as well as the Head of Movement at ArtsEd and East 15. The woman was a freelance director who had directed performances at DSL. The man was incredibly cool. In fact, all the teachers at DSL that we had met so far were incredibly cool and unique. They explained that we would be doing both of our monologues and they may re-direct us. Then we would do some sight-reading and finally have an interview.

I was 3rd to do my monologue and went for my classical first. They redirected me twice.  I did Julia from The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Shakespeare. The first time, they got another auditionee to get up and stand next to me, then leave. This is so that I could start my monologue as soon as she left. (If you don’t know the monologue just trust me that this makes sense). Then they asked me to do it as I was going down a catwalk which I was very happy about since I love to catwalk (MAJOR ANTM fan). They did not redirect my contemporary and I sat down.

Next up, they put us in pairs and gave us each pair a short script to prepare which then would be performed in 10 mins. They also assigned us a character. The script wasn’t vague at all, it had background information as well as a character description so it was a mini-scene really. My pair had the same script as another pair (they said we shouldn’t read into this too much) and the other pair was redirected and we weren’t. I don’t know if this is a good or bad thing.

Finally, the hard bit was over and we were given individual slot times for an interview.

I was 3rd and we waited in the student common room and drank peppermint tea while we waited.
In the interview, they told me that they were going to ask me some questions that they had to ask then we would have a general chat. Some of the obligatory questions were what other schools was I applying to and how did I plan to fund the course?  They then asked me some really unique questions such as if I became successful, what would I do with that success? Also, how do I feel when I act? These questions lead to some really passionate discussions.


Next thing you know, it was over and I thanked them and left. DSL gives you a specific day which you will find out if you have an offer or not so I have to wait until 29th January to find out if I have got in. Wish me luck!

***Update: I have been offered a place on their one year diploma in acting! It says in the offer email I can choose the 2 year course if I like***

Comments

Popular Posts