LAMDA Second Round Audition Experience

To read about my first round audition at LAMDA, press here

The day after my Drama Centre audition, I had my LAMDA second audition. It stated in the email that they would either like to see how I respond to direction/like to see a 3rd monologue so I came prepared with my reserve. I seriously hoped they did not ask to see it though, reasons why are explained towards the end of this post (Oxford School of Drama).

I arrived at the school 30 mins earlier than my allotted time and saw there was a sign on the main entrance saying auditionees should enter through a different entrance located further down. It was a windy day though so the sign had blown off which meant I wasn’t entirely sure if the sign was for me but I followed it anyway.

Thankfully, there was another entrance further down and upon entering, two people (I’m guessing students) were sitting on a panel and signed me in. I then took a seat along with other auditionees and it was a very quiet in the room. There were around 20 other people waiting for both first and second auditions. I know this because the person at the panel asked me which one I was there for. There was a girl there that I’d met at my LAMDA first round and we both had our auditions scheduled at 2:15 PM. We chatted for a while and waited patiently until 2:15 PM came along and a current student came and called our names and one other girl (surprisingly on time). We were lead upstairs to wait outside our audition room; I would be going in second after the girl I knew. While we waited, I chatted to the current student about where most students live and whether it was possible to commute from the outskirts of London (which is where I live).

When it was my turn to go in, I sat in front of the panel and told them the three speeches I had for them. I then got up and performed my classical first, then my contemporary. They redirected my contemporary monologue asking me to do it sitting directly in front of them and do it to the man on the panel. If my memory serves me correctly, he was a movement teacher and the woman on the panel was a screen acting teacher. When I was finished the woman smiled and said, “well done”. I want to say this was a good sign but you never really know.

After I did my contemporary redirection they said that they might as well see my Lady Macbeth (reserve monologue). As soon as they said this my heart dropped. The man said I should try and do it with the same level of intimacy I had just done my contemporary with sitting opposite him. I took this into account and did my Lady Macbeth speech and then said thank you and it was over.


I left LAMDA feeling pleased with how I’d done but nervous about my 3rd speech. This school is my first choice (aside from Juilliard) and I seriously hope I get recalled to the final round. Only time will tell.

***Update: I received an email today, two weeks later, that said I was not recalled***

Comments

Popular Posts